28 April, 2014

Book Review: The Virgin Sucides

Jeffrey Eugenides' The Virgin Suicides is one of those rare novels that you only come across a few times in your life. It is compelling, startling, intriguing and beautiful all at once. This novel tells the story of the terrible fate of the five Lisbon sisters; Lux, Mary, Cecilia, Bonnie and Therese. That is all I am going to say about the plot, because if I elaborated then I would spoil parts of the book! I am just going to say is that this book is absolutely great. In addition to its strange plot, The Virgin Suicides is written in a unique style, making it stand apart from others books that appeal to the same audience. It is definitely an original.

I would recommend this book to people who think they can handle it, because I will warn you, it is not for the faint hearted. This book deals with topics like abuse, emotional trauma, neglect, and (of course) suicide. Although it may be beautiful, it is also ghastly.

Nonetheless, I am surely going to add it to my list of favorite novels.





Photo taken by me. 
© The Logic of a Student all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment